MMM | Tip Of The Iceberg – Your Work That No One Sees

Happy Monday,

 

It may be August, but I know I speak for most of us when I say that I’m not looking forward to this years winter. The cold, the ice, the short days – it’s not fun. But, I was thinking about the north and the beauty of the landscape, particularly icebergs. According to Wikipedia, the word “iceberg” originates from the dutch translation iisberg, meaning “ice mountain”.

 

The makeup of an iceberg is quite interesting. They range in height from 1 to 75 metres above sea level and range in mass from anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 metric tons. They have an interior temperature of -15 to -20 C. The ratio of what is on the surface is 10% the other 90% is below the surface, hence the saying “The tip of the iceberg.”

 

Around a year ago, I received a text from a professor friend of mine at 4:15 on Friday morning responding to a question I had asked. She shared that she had gotten up at 3:30 am to prepare for her class. I was thinking about how her students will see just the “tip of the iceberg” of the work she’s put into that one lecture, never mind the 12+ years of studying for her PhD and all of her writing, research and teaching.

 

I want to applaud professionals like her who go to bed late, get up early, go that extra mile to do their best for their employer and the people they serve. When you see someone a bit tired in your zoom calls today, thank them; a lot happened before they showed up at your meeting to enable them to do their best work.

 

Along the road with you!

 

Alan

 

P.S. You like working with people and are a natural networker. You are a YES person, are curious and eager to learn. We’re looking for a Bilingual Client Engagement Specialist who can grow with us! Work anywhere M-F 9-5 PST. Interested? Click here for more details!

 

P.P.S. We’re here to walk with you through your organization’s challenges and successes during this period of transition. Reach out to Jason Parks, VP of Business Development at jason.parks@careerjoy.com or 1-877-256-2569 ext 600 to chat about how you can support your team.