So call it what it is, I’ve officially had my mid-life crisis. I bought a motorcycle, and no, didn’t buy a Harley
As an aside, it is really a crazy system we live in where you can take a three day course in a parking lot and just like that you are good to go.
Are you having a mid-career crisis? You know, there is a term for this.
According to a research project at Harvard, there are 6 key areas of friction experienced by mid career professionals as discovered by researchers Morison, Erickson and Dychtwald:
1. Career bottleneck: There are currently more baby boomers competing for limited leadership opportunities, while companies are moving toward a flat organizational structure.
2. Work life tension: It is a challenge to balance children, income and a professional life.
3. Lengthening horizon: Mid career professionals are spending more and saving less, causing the average age of retirement to increase.
4. Skills obsolescence: Professionals are having to adjust to new ways of working and adapt to the changing economy.
5. Disillusionment with employer: Many employees are experiencing issues related to integrity and downsizing.
6. Burnout: After a number of years, people are stretched thin due to stress and long hours.
7. Career Disappointment: Some mid career professionals feel as thought they not meeting their own expectations of where they thought they would be at this time in their life.
Do any of these areas of friction resonate with you? The good news is that you CAN change. I often remind myself that we don’t live in an environment where we are being forced to work. We DO have choices. The key is not to do anything rash, but rather start working on your transition plan.
And you don’t even have to learn how to ride a motorcycle…
Along the road with you!
P.S. Working here may cause joy. We are hiring for multiple positions currently including a Corporate Business Development Professional in Toronto, and a Senior Career and Leadership Coach in both Vancouver and Halifax. Apply today to join our team!
P.P.S. RSVP to our upcoming CareerClass webinar “Social Media and your Personal Brand” on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm EST and learn how to leverage your personal brand for career success.