I hope you are enjoying your Easter weekend. The tradition of the Easter egg was started in the early 19 th century, by German immigrants. Colored eggs, were placed in their caps & bonnets of children before Easter. Hence, the Easter bunny ritual entered our culture and, the founders of Nestle & Mars lived happily (& richly) ever after.
Part of the magic of this season, is the egg hunt. Every family has their own Easter traditions. Finding Easter eggs & looking for new career opportunities have much in common, except for the caps & bonnets bit. There is the hunt, then the sweetness of the reward once you have found what you are looking for. This week’s podcast we discuss the variety of ways to identify and find quality job opportunities with Peter Harris from Workopolis.
The 2 key principles of successful job-hunting;
1. Finding opportunities starts with really looking. I know that sounds like a simplistic statement, but it is true. I have been part of many egg hunts, where I wasn’t really looking. When it comes to job hunting, really look, it’s as much about attitude as accepting that this part of the practical reality of a job search. Opportunities won’t usually seek you out.
2. Where to spend time looking? In a Climber.com poll, respondents shared where they spent time looking for opportunities:
1. Searching for positions online 29.94%
2. Applying to positions 27.28%
3. Networking 24.11%
4. Researching companies 12.89%
5. Working with a recruiter 5.56%
My advice to clients is to use all the above elements in your job search. You never know where and when the best opportunities will be found, the more things you do. the merrier.
Like the overall purpose of Easter, “Finding” is all about connecting with people, aka potential hiring managers. Peter shared “Remember…people hire people, not paper, getting your resume out is one thing, connecting with the right person is the key!”
CareerClass | Webinar – Get the Right Career, Right Now! Invest 1 hour of your time to help identify the right work situation. Join me Tues, April 10, 12-1 P.M. ET. This complimentary 1-hour workshop is based on my book, The Canadian Job Search Kit. Take control of your career, all from the comfort & convenience of your own desk. Limited to 50 participants. Click to register.
Looking for help with your personal brand? Who’s your career coach? Need help with a professional resume, job search, and interview preparation? Invest in yourself & get the edge in this competitive job market. Take a small step and book an initial coaching session with me.
Finding opportunities, along the road with you!
P.S. Looking for help finding new opportunities. Join our 1-1 job-search coaching program. We can help you land in better roles for more money & less stress. Click here for details
P.P.S. Join me Sat April 14 from 12:30-1:30 PM at The Green Living Show in Toronto for a CareerClass | Live event. What David Suzuki can teach us about personal branding & building a green career. Click here for more details.